Amala is the most popular food amongst locals in Lagos. Yam flour, beans soup and Corchorus Olitorius popularly known as Amala, gbegiri and abula.
The best amala joints in Lagos usually have the same local setup which i would further explain in the list below
- The amala is typically served from a cast iron pot popularly called Adugan which is usually on a coal pot
- You would need to carry your plate to be served in this setting
- Soup is always free and served according to the quantity of amala
- The swallow section is always seperated from the soup section
- Typically spoons are found in a bowl near the serving point or on the tables
- The car park is always filled with reasonably priced cars
- People are always tropping in and out of the place
- To find these places stop at any popular bus stop and ask for the best amala joint around
Personally, I would list my top four amala joints in Lagos as follows;
- Eni Afe, location: Old Yaba road, off Herbert Macaulay
- Iya Moria, location: Besides DLI inside University of Lagos
- White House, location: Behind Custodian off comercial avenue Sabo, Yaba
- Canada, location: Jebba road, Ebute Metta
Feel free to explore and find the perfect amala joint for you.